Monday, April 9, 2012

8/30

Location le Sigh

California - first love because of Full House. Not too proud to admit it. I've wanted to live in a San Franciscan row house for about 18 years now. Ocean, hills, split level houses with glorious steps up to the porch....*sigh.*  I drew row houses with little girls like me looking out the windows, the bridge in the background. This was the beginning.

Washington (more specifically Seattle) - second love because of the movie Man of the House. Yep, JTT, baby! Farrah Fawcett, Chevy Chase, Enigma's "Return to Innocence." *sigh* again. And again, the ocean, the city, the buildings, the trees. I was 13, and it was love.

New York - third. I can't even remember where this desire originated, other than my want for the busy-ness and city life. Subways and trains, tiny local grocers and espresso nooks. Originality, individualism. No one I know wanted to live there, save myself.

Ireland - when my significant other visited without me I stole my mother's copy of Matchmaker, a random Janeane Garofalo flick where she is planted into Western Ireland for research. Love, yet again. The years passed, I wasn't cured. And then I visited in 2008. My heart will forever be done for. Inishmoor in October, cliffs barely visible in ocean spray. The food, the grey, the green. I have never been the same.

India - colors and smells and sounds I still have yet to hear. The richness of this culture, the tradition, the struggles. 

Small town, USA - when my life changed drastically from married to single, outward to inward, I scurried into the sticks like a wild mouse. Small towns were nothing like I ever wanted, which is why I could hide there, away from movement. Good for a while, but only that.

Birthplace/Originating Home - Norman and Oklahoma City cradled me in rebirth. My grandparent's home, the only place I've ever stayed for more than a couple weeks that didn't leave me wanting. I rested and readied myself for the next.


So the cycle begins again...



geez. i published this blog then went and found this video. wanderlust = fueled

2 comments:

  1. The Washington part made me laugh out loud! I was right there with you, on all of it... And I was always slightly jealous of their found object wall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SERIOUSLY!!!! i wanted a found object wall! and to organize all my trash into organics, plastics and paper!

    ReplyDelete