Saturday, April 21, 2012

20/30

20
I remember when I was 20,
I think.
Yeah, I do. I was living on McElroy Street in Stillwater.
"MACK-el-roy" was the correct pronunciation according to my roomie, the English major. But most people in town said "Mick-EL-roy." I said both depending on who I was talking to. (...I just took a short moment to reflect on what that might mean in regards to my personal interactions...)

Our house was old, wood frame and white. A cute front porch and a decent sized backyard that was covered in poison ivy and honeysuckle. Bittersweet. A garage filled with things that were not ours, except for storage of our bikes.
I was working on my Bachelor of Science in Psychology and running 60-70 miles/week on the cross-country/track team. I allowed myself afternoon naps and began to realize my need for organization when it came to my living space.

20 was a launching point. The beginning of the decade where everything changed, and changed again, and again. I felt as though I was standing in a door frame, with a wildly rushing river beneath, and I was getting ready to jump in, and I nearly felt it physically when I did. My seams were bulging and ripping. College, rent houses, roommates, cross country trips, life changes, graduation, tuition repayment, marriage, big kid jobs, bill-paying, travel, first drunken nights, stagnancy then movement, tearing down and rebuilding, promising myself the world.
I feel another doorway, another river with a passionate undertow. I recognize the current and effect of the seasons. Sweet, scary motion.

4 comments:

  1. Simply put...it's beautiful...great short story or poem...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember seeing you in those days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When they tore that house down, Stillwater became something different for me. That house had character! So much wood panelling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No way, Jose. Everyone local said "Mack-el-roy"! Nothing to do with being an English major. Just being a local. :) Those were fun days.

    ReplyDelete