Tuesday, April 20, 2010

drive, determination....and pissing your pants

so i decided a while back that i thought it would be freakin awesome to be a roller derby girl. i mean...skates, fishnets, eye makeup & flying around a track!?! sounds amazing to me! so i went to my very first bout at the drop of a hat on sunday night.

and as is custom with me, i fell in love in about oohhhhhhh.......5 seconds! 
so it started. the drive. the determination.
i'm doing this. i've been telling people i'm gonna do it and i'm not backing down. i want this!
so after burning with a 10yr-old-on-christmas sorta excited all day i emailed the Angels of No Mercy derby team of the Central Oklahoma Roller Derby. i squealed and squalled after the email was sent.

at lunch today i turned on my computer, checked my email and squealed (again) with joy! turns out its the perfect time to join cause they're really needing some new recruits (*clearing throat here* attention all you ladies in the stillwater/guthrie area come out & join!!!!!). a couple of their girls are leaving soon and some skates need to be filled. 
"oh, and btw, practice is tonight! come even if you don't have equipment!" 
so i went (sooo excited i could barely stand still or stop grinning like a cheshire).

i borrowed someone's skates that were a size or two too large, but needed to just try it out. and i sucked wwaaaaaaaaay more than i thought i would. hell, i started to put the freakin wrist guard on my elbow! in my defense i've never worn a protective pad of any sort in my entire life b/c i never did organized sports! i don't even think i've ever worn a bike helmet (much to the dismay of my doctor when i showed up at her clinic with a broken collar bone from bike riding...but that's another story.)

so, what if i suck? what if i can never learn to skate with my knees bent and my torso forward? what if i can never learn to stop? agah!!!!!! 

{minor internal freakout as i'm trying to figure out how to stop and not fall backwards}

chill. i can do this. i ran 10ks on a track, i can learn to balance myself on wheels!
and no, i didn't really piss my pants. only mentally.
 
so, i need to buy some skates asap. and practice.
once i get in some skates that are my size maybe i'll be a teensy bit better. but here goes!
practice again in one week! i'll be there with (hopefully) skates on!


and here are some photos just for your enjoyment (or dread, which ever you think)...




3 comments:

  1. woooooooohooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    soooo freaking excited!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that first picture-- OUCH!

    hahaha and i am SO excited for you! i want to not be such a puss and do it too
    so cool

    ReplyDelete