Monday, April 5, 2010

barefoot time!

i did my first barefoot run of the year! hopefully by the time the stickers pop up i can have some five fingers covering my toesies...but for now i'm ecstatic about the new green grass!
the thing about running barefoot is that you don't have that awkward haven't-run-in-a-week hobble to begin with. your body just knows what to do and from the very first step its just....natural!

(imagine that)

i was surprised at my brisk pace and lasted a whole two miles, which was in itself a surprise. i haven't gone more than 1.5 in a while, and the past couple weeks have been really off since getting sick. but it felt amazing squishing through the mud and bouncing forward off my toes. sweet spring!

if you haven't felt the earth with your feet in a while then you should go do it now! no matter your state, it will revive your heart

 

(and sorry for the crappy photos, my phone was all i had)

5 comments:

  1. sigh. yes yes yes....
    exactly what i have been thinking about. dreaming of.. craving. the earth under my bare feet.
    black dirty soles.
    think i'll take myself out tomorrow to do just that. i've been wanting it for far too long now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love walking through my garden barefoot after it has just been tilled. the dirt is so soft and cool on your feet and you sink up to your ankles :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard a lot about barefoot running, but have never tried it, except on the beach! I see a lot of people around here wearing the five fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Check this guy out: http://www.gobroncobilly.com/ I should have an interview with Jeff up on my blog soon. He's a local runner here in Bend and he is really into running bare foot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. tabitha, you'll definitely have to try it! i started doing it about a year ago and after about 15 years of injury-plagued running i feel like i have finally found the perfect solution! its amazing what happens when we ignore marketing and actually look into whats intended for our bodies. =) love it!

    ReplyDelete