Thursday, April 14, 2011

something good

i'm going to spend the day with my family at my grandfather's assisted living center. we got a call from the hospice nurse who believes he probably won't make it to tomorrow morning. not fun news. but neither is seeing an electrical engineer who was constantly in motion sleeping his days away in a reclined chair. i had a dream a few weeks back that he was telling me about how when you pass on you become your real self again, you soar and do everything you wish you could.
my grandpa is brilliant. i'm living here in his house amongst years of ham radio tinkerings, thousands of books and periodicals, electrical thingamajigs of every sort. i love this place. i love the memories and the traces of my grandparents everywhere. i love that here i'm learning to mesh my present with my past. and learning to weave my future into all this as well.
so many things in my life are coming, going, circling and landing. i'm losing loved ones but cementing friendships. i'm learning that i can't worry about things beyond my grasp. i'm growing out of my fears and into something new. i picked a mug for my tea this morning and when i read it i smiled.

something good is going to happen to you

something good has happened, it is happening now. life is moving, changing, fitting together.


dear grandpa <3

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear about your grandpa, Sharalee. Praying for sweet moments for your family!

    ReplyDelete