Thursday, June 16, 2011

in unison




my hair school instructor showed this video today. i've seen flash-mob stuff before, but for some reason the music + the magnitude + my thoughts lately have made this one more significant for me. as i watched it this morning i stared in awe, nearly teary-eyed in class just thinking of the implications of people working together. so i've been watching this at home, and i can't seem to get through it without crying.

something about the crowd, the movement, the message. one person, then a few, then a few thousand. just think of what we can do when in unison!
i've had a back-and-forth struggle with this thought today. feeling big in my own life - master of my destiny - truly happy - making changes that i can make on my own. but also feeling small and heavy-hearted with the knowledge of the human condition. there are countries full of drowning souls. poverty, racism, violence. there is so much we cannot touch. i feel gratitude and guilt almost equally. 
i realize i can't start anywhere else, but here. i'll play my role, you play yours.
and if we're all moving in unison we'll see what we can do.

1 comment:

  1. I struggle with the same thoughts almost daily! I know I'm making a difference in my surrounding life but I feel like there's so much more to be done in the world. All we can do is try our best everyday :)

    ReplyDelete