Thursday, May 26, 2011

crop consternation

after my first round of seed plantings were unsuccessful (blaming frost) i planted round two. but didn't think about labeling the rows. "ah, i'll remember what they are!"(...insert scoff here...)

my "herbs" had grown like crazy these past few weeks and i was grateful. but still a bit disappointed that the only thing i had were herbs. i had planted carrots, lettuce, strawberries, bell peppers and jalapenos. i've gotten one or two nice tiny strawberries, but that's it thus far.
so every day as i diligently watered i entertained just a bit of bitterness. herbs. hmm. sure. i'll use them. i'll water them. they're going to be the best damn herbs ever, because that's what's growing for me right now!

then yesterday as i watered i decided to pull up a little green shoot. i thought it was parsley. but noticed it was strangely familiar to the little carrots i had encountered at homeland the night before. lo and behold...when i pulled the green stalks....a gorgeous orange root did emerge from my earth.

*geek*

needless to say, i was ecstatic. i pranced from garden to house to garden, fetching my camera, bowls, and whatever else i might need for some happy-go-lucky-harvesting.

the whole situation made me think...how many things in our lives might we miss by neglecting to nourish what we think isn't productive? or at least not productive in the ways we would prefer? probably more than i'd like to admit, speaking for myself. but the past months have left me tending every last, lonely little plant. i have been paying more mind to nourishing myself in places i had for so long forgotten. the little things. but it felt right. so i did it. and now here's crop. carrots. peace. open doors. closed windows. perfection in timing and a little kiss on the cheek from the universe.

"hey kid, you're in the right place."

it's nearly unexplainable, this peace. this life.





ecstatic new earth momma



also, i found i have wild onions growing in my backyard, so i pulled up a handful of those as well. <3


* cheers to growth, harvest, diligence *

5 comments:

  1. Isn't gardening amazing and so fulfilling!!! I love living close to the earth :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. it absolutely is! i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh i LOVE your carrots!
    i am dying to have my bit of earth, so am having to make due in the windowsill.. but am babying my herbs too much- that they aren't growing like the weeds they are supposed to.
    strawberries- i hear, take about two seasons for them to start growing big berries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. home-grown herb gardens are fantastic + i have a small balcony + but I think I could make it work + if the birds don't eat it.

    Wyetha

    ReplyDelete